Thursday, January 23, 2014

Trapdoor Springfields can't Twerk

Some of you may not know this, but I get a bit of data about what you're searching for before you click on this blog.  Some people have quite reasonable searches like "broken trapdoor firing pin"  or "trapdoor springfield accuracy".  Sometimes, I can tell the search engine has led them astray.  My blog about using an old microscope box as an ammo carrier is immensely popular, and yet, I feel people were actually looking for microscope cases and wound up here by accident.

I recently saw a search that set me back a bit.  It was "Trapdoor Springfield Sucks".

I am well aware of the trend to add "sucks" to any subject to try to find a site dedicated to a subject's belittlement.  I'm sure "Justin Bieber Sucks" or "Miley Cyrus Sucks" will bring up plenty of fodder about poor singing, poor life choices, and mediocre twerking.  But "Trapdoor Springfield sucks?"  Surely there isn't a trapdoor hate site?  Well, where there is a need, there is a supplier.  What follows is a list of the trapdoor's failings, in my experience.

1)  It was built to a price point.  There is no doubt, that when the government started with the Allin Conversion, the main goal was to use up all of the muzzle loaders they had sitting in the armory.  The ability of the trapdoor concept to use up these free parts was surely a major selling point.  After that, even when making rifles from scratch, the trapdoor is a simple piece to make.  Remember that the trapdoor was never the active arm during any major conflict.  It is hard to spend money on rifles during peacetime.
2)  The rifling is off.  I have to agree on this one.  Current BPCR guns use 18:1 twist for a reason.  22:1 is surely better than the 4 foot twist of some muzzle loaders, but still not quite there.  I can't think of a good reason why 3 lands is worse than any other number, but people have surely landed on 6-8, so there may be something to it.
3)  The trapdoor barrel is too whippy.  Sure enough, a rifle built to be carried across America on foot or horse is not going to have the heavy bull barrel of a target rifle.  Plus, steel costs money, see #1.
4)  It is unreliable.  I call this one false.  The troubles of Custer are well documented and certainly stem from the balloon cases of the time.  In my 1000s of rounds I have had zero fail to fires and one case failure that didn't stop it from functioning.  Even my broken firing pin was still functioning when I changed it.
5)  The trapdoor is weak.  I give this a 50%.  the trapdoor is fully capable of supporting the round it was designed for.  The fact that technology marched on and created incredible pressures in the 45/70 doesn't change the rifle.  The same can be said of all the straight walled black powder cases.  This is why the revolvers tended toward a longer, high pressure version.  .38 to .357 mag.  45 to 454 Casull. 44 to 44 mag, etc. 

So there you have it.  The truth is out.  The Trapdoor Springfield sucks and there's no way to deny it.

It also can't twerk worth a damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment