Friday, March 18, 2011

Another day at the range.

A day at the range can't be all bad can it?  No, not all bad, just some.  It turns out my home cast 405 grain hollow base bullets that were supposed to be the cat's meow were pretty useless.  I haven't 100% given up hope, but they don't seem too promising.  The load with 60 grains of 777 shot a whopping 24 high  X 11 wide.  The load with 65 grains shot worse at 22 high x 24 wide.  The only ray of sunshine in all this is the fact that the 2 groups vary by quite a bit due to the load.  There's the potential I could find a "sweet spot" somewhere.  There was one keyhole, which distresses me because I'm accosomed to either all or none.  It is interesting that I could hear it.  Quite a buzz. 

One thing I've been muddling over is the fact that the 777 is slightly peppier than black powder, so I use a tad less to correct.  A typical load is 70 grains BP, where I use 60 of 777.  Because of this, I'm not getting as much compression as most people recommend.  I don't know that they don't just want "all that will fit" or if it really matters, but I think my next step is a load of real black powder so I can get some compression of the powder.

When I came home, what do I find on my doorstep but the bullets I ordered from Mt. Baldy.  this was horrible timing in 2 ways.  First, I couldn't try their 405 grain hollowbase bullets, and second, I couldn't shoot my 500 grain rounds because I need them for a competition Sunday and I had no bullets to reload. 

When I crack the boxes, I do find that the Mt. Baldy bullets are slightly different than mine.  Take a look.


The one on the left is Mt Baldy, the one on the right is mine (Lee mold).  The base of the baldy is bigger diameter and rounded in a sort of parabola shape.  I think it will deform to the bore much easier.  Alloy is supposed to be 20:1, same as mine.
Here's a side shot:



Again, Mt. Baldy on the left.  The Baldy's are sized, so that gives it a different appearance to the lands.  They're pretty similar otherwise.  You may wonder how I get them to stand up like that.  Sunday is the first day of spring, the Vernal Equinox.  Fresh eggs and bullets are easy to balance on that day.  In fact, if you leave some loose on a table Saturday night, some will be standing on Sunday morning.  Try it.

So what was good about the day?  Two things.  
First, my aperture sight and globe front that I got From Dixie Gun Works is awesome.  Everything is clear and steady and visible.  Two thumbs up. 
Second, I seem to have gotten my sabots working a lot better.  If you remember last time I shot them with a smokeless load of 12gr SR4759 and they were weak and all over the target.  They also left a lot of powder unburned.  I transitioned into 30 gr 777.  With the black powder substitute I could just press the sabot clear into the case and not crimp it.  It holds quite firm in a sized case.  The pattern was 5 wide by 3.25 high for 10 rounds.  This is pretty much equivalent to my best 500gr lead bullet round.  I tried a load with 40 grains 777.  It was similar at 4 wide x 5 high.  It is looking interesting anyway.  The bore had a bit more fouling, but that's to be expected with the light bullet and load.

No comments:

Post a Comment