Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fiddle and fuss with sights.

About a week ago I went out to the local range and watched a black powder rifle competition.  Everyone was using what looked like a falling block action, but a trapdoor will fit right in.  I got to shoot one and I was very impressed with the sight picture from the aperture (peep) sight.  So, naturally, I felt I needed to spend money.
One of my concerns is that I don't want to modify the rifle in any permanent way.  The photo below is my solution.


The brass plate attaches to 2 screws that hold the action together.  It wraps up and around the stock without actually touching.  There are still a few swirl marks to polish out, but it is looking pretty good even so.


Above is the plate at the halfway point.  It is a 1/4" backing plate to a commercial doorknob mount.  I had to work around a few screw holes to get it to fit.



This shows the right hand side.  The plate is a bit higher than I'd like.  I'm sure a better craftsman could do a better job.  Next step is a trip to the range for some testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment